Tuesday, August 22, 2017

Motorcycle carburetor- broken float post

I was performing some maintenance on my 1997 Suzuki Intruder 800 motorcycle.  I removed the carbs to boil and clean them out thoroughly.  I was simply attempting to dismantle the carburetor float pin on one of the carbs and accidentally snapped off one of posts on the front carburetor.

I was even taking precautions because there was some resistance....but it still happened.  

ughhhh!!!

The rear carb float pin slid out painlessly with just a little finesse.  The front carb on the other hand was the resistor.  The float pin was stuck in place.  The head of the pin was stuck really well to the side of the float post.  I attempted very carefully to move it through various venues.  All to no avail.  One little push--a little too hard and 'snap'.  "Now what do I do?" I was so frustrated at myself....but given the same scene again I'm not certain there would have been anything different that I could have done to prevent this.

I ended up locating this really superb fellow which was ever so helpful.  Jim of JMF Precision Welding offers Micro Laser Welding and Micro TIG welding.  His service saved my neck and he did an outstanding job of repairing the post. jmfmicroweld.com







Jim of JMF Precision Welding-- micro laser welding, micro TIG, fine welding repairs, small detailed work.  Microscopic welding of all ferrous and non-ferrous materials. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

I will approve your comments within a day or so at the latest. Please don't forget to check the 'Notify me' box so you will be notified when I reply to your comments.

Chris